These are unprecedented times. Like many of you, we continue to follow the development around COVID-19 with hope and reflection and as promised, we have been working on ways to support educators and students in this uncertain time. This shift to remote learning has prompted many questions related to access and permissions from our valued Fountas & Pinnell Literacy™ customers. In partnership with Irene Fountas and Gay Su Pinnell, Heinemann will provide temporary teacher access to the below identified Fountas & Pinnell Classroom™ and Leveled Literacy Intervention resources.
4/10/2020 - UPDATE #2: Using Fountas & Pinnell Classroom™ and Leveled Literacy Intervention for Remote Learning
Reading Minilessons (RML), K–6:
- Starting the week of April 13, teachers who have a Reading Minilessons account will have temporary, teacher-only digital access to their RML book via their Online Resources.
- We grant temporary permission for you to record a lesson in a closed digital environment using your print RML book or the temporary digital file of your RML
- Please note: Each of the FPC Interactive Read-Aloud Collections contain curated trade books from various authors and publishers. We do not hold the copyright to these books; however, many publishers and authors/illustrators have released statements regarding their copyright policy and guidelines for reading aloud in a closed platform. School Library Journal has a curated list of Publisher Responses to Copyright Policy – we recommend you consult this list as you prepare your digital learning plan.
Leveled Literacy Intervention (LLI), K–3:
- Starting the week of April 13, LLI Orange, Green, Blue and Red System teachers who have an LLI account will have temporary, teacher-only, digital access to the LLI books via their Online Resources (look for the “Leveled Books” tab in the blue navigation bar).
- LLI Green (Gr. 1) and Blue (Gr. 2) books will be released starting Monday, April 13.
- LLI Red (Gr. 3) and Orange (Gr. K) books will be released starting Tuesday, April 14.
- A document titled, Suggestions to Support Literacy Instruction for Leveled Literacy Intervention (LLI) Students, will be available in your Online Resources account. This document provides suggested activities for you to consider as you support LLI student’s development in oral language, writing, reading, and phonics/word study remotely.
- We grant temporary permission for teachers to use the print or digital LLI books to support the suggested activities outlined in the document referenced above in a closed digital environment.
GENERAL PERMISSION GUIDELINES:
By reading or recording virtually, you agree to abide by the below guidelines.
- At the start of your live reading or recording, please mention that you are reading/using resources from or conducting a lesson from Fountas & Pinnell Classroom™ or Leveled Literacy Intervention with permission from Heinemann.
- Recordings can only be placed in a closed digital or password protected environment to be shared exclusively with your student(s).
- Please remove and delete your recordings when your district/school resumes learning at school, or at the latest, June 30, 2020.
An update on other Fountas & Pinnell Literacy™ (FPL) Resources
In the coming weeks, we will continue to release identified FPL resources in phases focusing on digital access for teachers of FPC and LLI. As noted above, these resources will be added to the Online Resources accounts of existing Fountas & Pinnell Literacy™ educators. We anticipate a second round of accessibility to occur the week of April 20. We will make an announcement via our blog when accessibility for identified resources is live.
We hope this news will help you maintain instructional continuity for your students during this highly unusual time. In an effort to provide additional support to you and your students, we have daily tips/suggestions on our blog. We wish you and your extended family continued health and safety and are grateful for your ongoing partnership.
The Fountas & Pinnell Literacy™ Team